JOBS (Job Orientation Training for Businesses and Schools) is a project that has been developred and implemented under the aegis whitin the scope or the Swiss enlargement contribution to the new EU member state Romania. It has been developed by the Ministry of National Education Bucharest (MNE), the National Centre for the Development of Technical and Vocational Education, Bucharest (CNDIPT) and the Centre for International Projects in Education (IPE) of the Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich).
The project staredt in 2010-the pilot phase was funded by the Lottery Fund of the Canton of Zurich (###CHF)-with the development of the teaching and learning materials in partnership with two pilot schools in Brasov city: Gymnasium School no.25 and the Tehnical College Transylvania.
The full project phase started in 2012 and will end in June 2019. It has a total budget of (###) provided by the Swiss Government (85%) and the Romanian Government (15%). The number of schools joining the project (gymnasium and VET schools) increased, gradually-reaching 180 schools located in four development regions of Romania by 2017.
Goals of JOBS:
- Acquire life skills and competences
- Develop a realistic perception of job opportunities available to them in their country.
- Consciously decide which steps to take towards their future career.
The student textbook
The textbook focuses on four areas and four aims
- Life Skills: Students learn about their competences
- Networking: Students get in contact with businesses, companies and public institutions. They learn about jobs on offer in their region.
- The reality of work: Students analyse economic conditions on their area and prepare a project portfolio and presentations.
- Learning by doing: Students do their own research about the jobs suited to them. They visit businesses and present their experiences at the annual JOBS fair at the end of the school year.
The support for teachers
JOBS provides support in terms of training, coaching and access to information via:
- The E-learning platform –- which supports in-service teacher training
- The Teacher Booklet “Supporting active learning” – which provides teachers with useful information about the pedagogical concepts underpinning JOBS and with recommendations for their application in class.
- Close cooperation between schools and business environment has been promoted, and during the project’s implementation, over 800 businesses opened their doors to students, allowing them direct contact with the real labour market. As a consequence of the widespread success of the JOBS project experience and results, starting with the school year 2017-2018 the revised curriculum for gymnasium schools now includes the new subject “Job orientation and personal development” as of the academic year 2017/2018. The last year of the project has as its goals: the continuation of delivering the in-service training course for teachers in another 28 counties, in partnership with the Teacher Houses and the development of a in-service training module in collaboration with “Transylvania University of Brasov”.